I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 1 July 2016

Belly Pork with Thai Herbs สามชั้นผัดสมุนไพร


Belly Pork with Thai Herbs สามชั้นผัดสมุนไพร

Stir fried leftover pork belly with medicinal, fragrant and aromatic Thai herbs. This is a deliciously spicy, smoky, salty, sweet and sour Thai meal. Goes so well with hot, fluffy and perfumed Jasmine Thai rice....I have attached a picture of my magic sauces.

   The Herbs.
3 cloves chopped garlic.
5 chopped shallots.
2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only.
5-6 Thai chillies.
5-6 sliced kaffir lime leaves.

   The protein.
600g sliced cooked pork belly (you can substitute with pork fillet or chicken beast)

   The seasoning.
-1tbsp oyster sauce.
-2tbsp soy sauce.
-1tbsp fish sauce.
-2tsp sesame oil.
-1tsp caster sugar.

In a large wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, stir fry
-the herbs.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, add
-sliced pork belly.
Stir well to coat the pork in the herbs and spices, add
-the seasoning.
Cook, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Stir through 3 sliced spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment