I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 3 July 2016

Pork Cakes with Sweet and Sour Relish ทอดมันหมู


Pork Cakes with Sweet and Sour Relish ทอดมันหมู

Delicious as snacks or with hot steaming rice. These pork cakes are fragrant and full of medicinal Thai herbs and spices. The crispy outside, soft inside cakes are made with spicy and aromatic homemade curry paste with added vegetables for crunch and texture. The sweet and sour relish provides freshness and a real palate cleanser. I wish you could smell the amazing aroma.
These pork cakes are normally deep fried but I have once again cooked them in my AirFryer.

Makes 45-46.

   The pork cakes.
In a large bowl, put in
-850g pork cakes,
-2tbsp red curry paste,
-2tbsp cornflour,
-1tsp bicarbonate of soda,
-2tbsp water,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-1tsp caste sugar,
-5-6 finely sliced lime leaves,
-50g chopped sugar snap peas.
Mix well to combine. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes or so.
I normally fry a little piece to test for seasoning.
Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture, flatten slightly.
Cook in the AirFryer at 180c for 8 minutes.

   The Relish.
In small saucepan, put in 
-3tbsp water,
-2tbsp caster sugar,
-1tsp sea salt.
-5tbsp malt vinegar.
Cook, stirring occasionally on low heat the sugar has melted.
Leave to cool completely.
Pour into a bowl, add
-5 sliced shallots,
-4-5 sliced chillies,
-150g cucumber, cut into chunks,
-1tbsp chopped coriander.
Stir well.

No comments:

Post a Comment