I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 13 July 2016

Prawn Tom Yum ต้มยำกุ้ง


Prawn Tom Yum ต้มยำกุ้ง

Perfectly hot and sour fragrant prawn soup, one of the most famous Thai foods. My cooking companion was rather surprised to find out how easy it is to make, given its flavour complexity. Light, aromatic, medicinal and internationally acclaimed, Tom Yum Goong is listed at number 8 on the World's 50 Best Foods.

Serves 6.

In a large saucepan, put in
-1 litre chicken stock,
-good pinch of salt.
Bring it up to the boil, add
-4-5 sliced galangal,
-4-5 sliced shallots,
-4-5 tomatoes, quartered,
-4-5 kaffir lime leaves,
-4-5 cloves garlic,
-2-3 fresh chillies (adjust according to your taste),
-a small handful of fresh coriander,
-2tsp tamarind purée.
Leave to simmer for around 10 minutes, add
-500g sliced mushrooms.
Cook for around a minute, add
-500g raw prawns.
Continue to cook until the prawns are cooked through, add 
-2tsp chilli oil.

Taste and adjust the seasoning.
You may need lime juice and fish sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment