I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 1 July 2016

Sticky Ribs.


Sticky Ribs.

The ribs are sweet, sticky, succulent and falling off the bone. They do take a long time to cook but barely need any attention, so you are free to get on with other important matters, such as, watching tennis.

In a large stock pot, put in
-3 litres water (I put in more water than needed as the cooking liquid is kept to use as stock)
-1kg pork ribs,
-2 celery stalks, cut into chunks,
-2 carrots cut, into chunks,
-1 large onion,
-2cm sliced ginger,
-4-5 sprigs coriander,
-2tsp salt,
-3tbsp soy sauce.
Leave to simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.

Oven 150c fan forced.

Use tongs to fish out the ribs and place them on a baking tray, add
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp plum jam.
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-2tsp sesame oil.
Mix well to combine.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the meat is flaking and coming off the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment