I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 5 July 2016

Teriyaki Roast Chicken with Oriental Potatoes.


Teriyaki Roast Chicken with Oriental Potatoes.

Another of my East meets West with the most mouth watering result. The chicken is sweet, moist and delicious, benefiting from having been marinated for a couple of hours in aromatic and delicate Japanese flavours. The roast potatoes have been given subtle Far Eastern tastes to echo the chicken. I hope you'll try this recipe, the ingredients are readily available in every supermarket.

In a large roasting tin, place
-2kg free range whole chicken, with
-2tbsp grated ginger,
-3-4 cloves grated garlic,
-2tbsp honey,
-2tbsp Mirin,
-4tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp sesame oil,
-1tsp sea salt.
Rub the marinade over the chicken. Leave to marinate for a couple of hours.

Roast in 180c fan forced for around 1:20 hours.
Leave to rest before carving.
Serve with any cooking juices.

   For the potatoes.
In a large stock pot, put in
-1.5kg potatoes, cut into large chunks, with
-2 star anise,
-1 stick cinnamon,
-sea salt.
Cook for around 20-25 minutes.
Place a roasting tin with 100ml of vegetable oil to pre-heat in 180c fan forced oven for 10 minutes.
Carefully add the boiled potatoes.
Sprinkle over 1/2-1tsp ground ginger.
Cook, turning once or twice until golden brown, around 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment