I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Teriyaki Grilled Pork Steaks with Spicy Sauce.


Teriyaki Grilled Pork Steaks with Spicy Sauce.

East meets further East in my newest recipe. The deliciously aromatic and delicately flavoured pork teriyaki has been teamed with a fiery Northeastern Thai dipping sauce. The sticky sweet and salty teriyaki marinade is to tenderise as well as flavour the pork. I've got pork shoulder steaks here, not least, because I love fatty cuts of meat but the high fat content really ensures the meat stays juicy and tender. The dipping sauce is Northeastern Thai and that means spicy, pungent, bold and fearsome. I have toned it down a little here, leaving out the most alien flavour of fermented fish, I have substituted it with fish sauce.
You can certainly serve the teriyaki pork with its marinated sauce, add 80ml water to it, cook on low heat until reduced, spoon over the carved steaks.

 In a large bowl, place
-750g pork shoulder steaks,
-2tbsp grated ginger,
-3-4 cloves grated garlic,
-2tbsp honey,
-2tbsp Mirin,
-4tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp sesame oil,
-1tsp sea salt/black pepper.
Rub the marinade over the steaks.
Leave to marinate for a couple of hours.
Cook on the barbecue, under a hot grill or in an AirFryer, at 180c for 15 minutes.
Leave to rest before carving.

   The sauce. 

   Roasted Rice.
In a frying pan, dry roast 1tbsp of rice until golden brown. 
Finely grind using a pestle and mortar.

In a small saucepan, put in
-80ml chicken stock,
-1tsp tamarind purée,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-1/2tsp sugar.
Leave to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or so.
Take off the heat, add
-2 sliced fresh chillies,
-2tsp chilli flakes,
-1tbsp roasted rice.
-1/2 lime juice,
-1tbsp coriander leaves,
-1tbsp mint leaves.
Stir well to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment