I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 11 July 2016

Blackcurrant and Pistachio Streusel Cake.


Blackcurrant and Pistachio Streusel Cake.

My first time cooking with blackcurrants and these homegrown ones are the perfect introduction. Thank you very much Mrs. Jacky Tout for the blackcurrants and also the redcurrants. I am so excited and look forward to cooking with the tart and juicy berries, I have a few recipes planned.
As I have said earlier the blackcurrants are extremely sour, the streusel topping is to provide sweetness as well as crunch and texture.

Equipment:
23cm springform tin lined with baking paper.

Oven 180c fan forced.

    For the cake.
Use an electric mixer,beat,
-180g self raising flour, with
-250g butter, at room temperature,
-50g ground almonds,
-200g caster sugar,
-4 eggs,
-1tsp baking powder,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste,
-pinch of salt.
Beat well to combine the ingredients.
Stir through 250g blackcurrants.
Spoon into the prepared tin.
Top with the streusel topping.

   For the streusel.
In a bowl, put in,
-50g caster sugar,
-50g self raising flour,
-50g rolled oats,
-50g desiccated coconut,
-50g chopped pistachios, add
-50g melted butter.
Stir well to combine.

Bake 1 hour minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
Check on the cake after 30 minutes.
You may need to cover the cake, loosely, with foil to stop over browning.
Leave to cool completely in the cooking tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment