I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 9 October 2016

Toffee Apple Traybake.


Toffee Apple Traybake.


A deliciously spiced apple traybake topped with gooey, stick-to-your-teeth rich and sweet toffee. I hope you are not bored with my endless traybake recipes. In my defence I was planning to make a cake but the amount of batter I ended up with would not fit in any cake tins available. We have had a couple of windy days and the fallen apples needed to be used up, hence this HUGE traybake. I will be back with something more sophisticated soon.

Equipment:


20x30 baking tray lined with baking paper.


For the apples.

-1.2kg Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1cm in thickness.


In a large sauté pan on medium heat, with 50g butter, add

-the apples,

-1 stick cinnamon or 1tsp ground cinnamon,

-150g brown sugar,

-pinch of salt.

Cook, stirring occasionally until the apples have cooked down, around 15-20 minutes.

Leave to cool for half an hour.


For the cake.

Use an electric mixer, beat,

-300g self raising flour,

-200g caster sugar,

-1tsp baking powder,

-pinch of salt.

-4 eggs,

-1tsp vanilla bean paste,

-100ml milk.

Beat well to combine, add

-the cooled apples.

Beat to combine.


Spoon into the prepared tin.

Bake 35-40 minutes.

Skewer should come out clean.

Leave to cool for around an hour.


For the toffee.

In a medium saucepan, put in

-250g caster sugar,

-100g golden syrup.

Cook, on medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved.

Turn the heat up to medium.

Continue to cook until golden brown, around 15 minutes.

Turn the heat down to medium-low, add

-50g butter,

-200ml double cream.

Stir well to combine.

Pour over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment