I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 21 October 2016

Crispy Belly Pork with Broccoli.



Crispy Belly Pork with Broccoli.


I love pork belly and all the other fatty cuts of meat. I suppose stir frying them with broccoli makes it appear slightly healthier. Delicious smoky pieces of pork belly contrasts perfectly with the sweet freshness of the broccoli. This recipe is based on the more famous Thai dish 'kana moo grop' คะน้าหมูกรอบ 'Crispy Belly Pork with Gailon'. Belly of pork is readily available but Chinese broccoli or Gailon is not, hence the broccoli. Kana Moo Grop is extremely popular in Thailand. I don't go to Thai restaurants in the UK so I am not sure if it has made its way Westwards.


The pork.

Slice 500g pork belly pieces into 2cm chunks.

Season generously with sea salt.

Dry fry in a large wok until the fat is rendered.

Drain well.


The broccoli.

800g broccoli, broken into florets.


The seasoning.

-2tbsp soy sauce.

-2tbsp oyster sauce.

-2tsp sesame oil.

-pinch of sugar.


In a wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry

-2 cloves chopped garlic.

Cook, stirring for 20 seconds or so, add

-the broccoli

Cook, stirring for around a minute, add

-the seasoning.

Mix well to coat the broccoli in the sauces.

Continue to cook until the broccoli is cooked to your liking, add

-the pork belly.

They only need to be warmed through.


Serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment