I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 8 October 2016

Miso and Honey Glazed Ham.


Miso and Honey Glazed Ham.


Fans of Japanese food are probably more familiar with miso soups or miso glazed fish and chicken. Glazed ham is my go to meal when I don't feel particularly energetic or in need of food that will please everyone. I have probably done around 8-10 hams, all with different glazes. I have previously done a Thai chilli jam ham glaze and I am moving further East with this newest recipe. I am very lucky to live locally to one of the best stocked supermarkets. All the Japanese ingredients in this recipe are from said supermarket, there's no need to find an Oriental shop for this recipe.


In a large stock pot, put in

-3 litres water,

-2.5kg gammon joint,

-4 bay leaves,

-2 carrots, cut into chunks,

-2 celery stalks, cut into chunks.

-1 large onion,

-1 cinnamon stick,

-3 star anise,

-8-10 cloves,

-1tbsp peppercorns.

Bring to the boil and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.

Cook for 2 hrs.

Leave the ham to cool in the stock pot.


The glaze.

In a large bowl, put in,

-2tbsp miso paste,

-2tbsp mirin,

-4tbsp honey.

Mix well and leave aside.



When the ham is cooled enough to handle,

-remove the fat,

-score the skin.

Spread the glaze liberally over the ham.

Bake around 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment