I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 9 October 2016

Southern Spiced Cauliflower Cheese.


Southern Spiced Cauliflower Cheese.


The girls are in love with my Southern baked chicken at the moment, which is the inspiration behind this recipe. This cauliflower cheese is spiced with Deep South flavourings, which has given it a slightly smokey spiciness. I am serving this with my Asian roast goose and goose fat roasted potatoes. These globe trotting flavours seem to work very well together.


For the cauliflower.

-1.2kg cauliflower, broken into florets.

Boil in salty water.

Drain and place in a deep oven dish.


For the sauce.

In a wok, with 3tbsp vegetable oil, fry

-1 chopped onion,

-2 bay leaves.

Cook, occasionally until the onions have softened, add

-1tsp dry oregano,

-1tsp cayenne pepper,

-1tbsp paprika,

-1tbsp onion granules,

-1tbsp dry garlic,

-salt/pepper.

Stir well, add

-80g plain flour.

Stir well, gradually add,

-milk (you'll need 1 litre in total).

Cook, stirring for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.

Pour over the cauliflower.

Top with 200g cheddar cheese.

Bake in 180c fan forced for around 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment