I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 1 October 2016

Beef in Chilli and Basil.

Beef in Chilli and Basil.


Another variation of the most consumed meal in Thailand. I am 6,000 miles away from home and I am still making up the statistics. When a person orders this meal in a restaurant, there's an assumption that he/she lacks imagination and doesn't know what they want to eat. I ALWAYS know what I want to eat but I find this dish to be cleansing after a plateful of bacon and syrup.


Serves 4.


For the spices.

In a pestle and mortar, pound

-4 large cloves of garlic,

-as many hot chillies as you dare (around 10 in mine),

-1tsp sea salt.

Pound well to combine.


For the beef.

700g rump steak, roughly minced.


For the sauce.

In a bowl, put in

-1/2tsp caster sugar,

-2tbsp soy sauce,

-2tbsp oyster sauce,

-1tbsp black soy sauce,

-1tsp fish sauce.

Mix well and leave aside.


For the basil.

-60g washed basil leaves.


In a large wok, on high heat, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add

-the spices.

Cook, stirring for 30 seconds or so, add

-the beef,

Stir fry to coat the beef in the spices until almost cooked through, add

-the sauce.

Stir well to combine, add

-basil leaves.

Continue to cook for 30 seconds or so.

Serve with rice and soft boiled egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment