I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Green Curry Stir Fried Belly Pork.




Green Curry Stir Fried Belly Pork.


Crispy pieces of belly pork stir fried in aromatic homemade curry paste with the added freshness of homegrown Thai basil. Deliciously punchy, savoury and spicy. What a treat and a surprise, Jon and Jenni Diec, thank you very much for the basil, a very unexpected and much appreciated gift. The sweet and perfumed aromas made us all take deep appreciative breaths. I have also added some of the basil to the green curry.


For the pork.

Place 500g sliced pork belly pieces in a sauté pan.

Cook, stirring occasionally, on medium heat until crispy.

Drain well.


In a wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry

-1tbsp green curry paste.

Cook, stirring for 20 seconds or so, add

-the belly pork, with

-4-5 kaffir lime leaves.

Cook, stirring to coat the pork pieces in the spices, add

-50ml water,

-10g basil leaves,

-2 sliced spring onions,

-pinch of sugar.

Mix well.

Stir through 2 sliced spring onions.

Taste and adjust the seasoning.


Serve with rice and a fried egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment