I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 19 October 2016

Bento Dinner Box.


Bento Dinner Box.


Bento boxes are not just for packed lunches. The choice and creativity of your bento box is entirely your own. I have stuck close to tradition here and our bento box is Japanese food. There's Japanese egg fried rice, stir fried vegetables, chicken teriyaki and chicken karaage. I want to talk a little about the chicken karaage (Kah-Rah-Ah-Ge) as this is CCC's first post of the recipe. These are delicious little chicken pieces, marinated in Japanese flavouring and then deep fried. Soft, crispy, aromatic and super easy, this is one recipe you will definitely enjoy. I would probably have a seizure if I didn't have chillies, so the little prawn dish on the side is my Thai contribution....stir fried green curry prawns. I will only be sharing the chicken karaage recipe as I have already shared the other recipes.


Chicken Karaage.

In a bowl put, put in

-200g chicken breasts, cut into 2cm chunks,

-2tsp grated ginger,

-1 clove grated garlic,

-1tsp sesame oil,

-1tbsp mirin,

-1tbsp soy sauce,

-salt and pepper.

Mix well.

Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Before you deep fry...

Coat the chicken in 2 2/1 tbsp cornflour.

Deep fry until deep brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment