I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 9 October 2016

Asian Spiced Roast Goose.




Asian Spiced Roast Goose.


A little something different to a normal Sunday roast. An intensely aromatic goose flavoured generously with Asian herbs and spices. I am still serving it with traditional accompaniments of roast potatoes, vegetables and cauliflower cheese, although that has been slightly modified. We have family coming to lunch, although no pressure has ever been put on me to put great dinners on the table, I always want to make something different and special. I am very lucky, to my family, my beans on toast would still be considered the best meal in the land. However, I should do better than beans on toast today and do a roast goose.


   For the goose.

-4kg goose.

Trim any excess fat.

Lightly score the skin.

Lightly prick the fatty parts of the goose (the legs and sides of the breasts)

Season generously with salt.

Stuff the cavity with,

-5-6 cloves crushed garlic,

-2 onions, quartered,

-1 stick cinnamon,

-2 star anise,

-10-15 cloves,

-1tsp peppercorns,

-1tbsp sea salt.

Place on a roasting rack.

Bake in 220c fan forced oven for 30 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 180c fan forced, cook for a further 1 hour.

Leave to rest for around 30 minutes.


   The gravy.

The goose came with giblets and I have used that to make the gravy.

In a roasting tin, place

-the giblets,

-1 sliced onion,

-2 cloves crushed garlic,

-1 carrot, cut into chunks,

-1 celery, cut into chunks,

-salt/pepper.

Bake in 180c fan forced for around 45 minutes.

Spoon into a large saucepan, add

-2tbsp plain flour.

Stir well to combine, add

-400ml water.

Bring up to the boil.

Cook, stirring until the gravy has thickened.


I rendered down the excess fat( seasoned with salt and pepper) on medium heat and cooked my potatoes in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment