I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 11 November 2016

Almonds and Raisin Cookies.


Almonds and Raisin Cookies.


The last batch of cookies were such a hit, I started craving them as soon as they were gone. I have run out of cranberries but still had some ground almonds needed using up, so after a rummage in the pantry I came up with this recipe. The desiccated coconut never fails to make me happy but I have no great love for raisins, therefore the cranberry version is still my favourite. However, these cookies are still yummy with delicious nutty smokiness of the desiccated coconut. I love cookies, they take barely anytime to cook. I do preach 'leave to cool completely' but in reality I eat them as soon as they come out of the oven. The cookies don't hold their shape or taste as good piping hot but at least you get to try a little bit without impacting the rest of the batch.


In a saucepan, put in,

-200g caster sugar, with

-150g butter,

-pinch of salt.

Cook, stirring constantly, on low heat until the mixture has melted and is smooth.

Take the pan off the heat, add

-150g ground almonds,

-25g rolled oats,

-25g desiccated coconut,

Stir well to combine.

Divide into 20 equal portions.

Place onto baking trays, lined with baking paper, 3cm apart.

Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.


Bake in 180c fan forced oven for 8 minutes.

The cookies should still be extremely soft.

Leave to cool completely on the baking trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment