I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 1 December 2016

Wok Tossed Pepper Crab.


Wok Tossed Pepper Crab.


I am serving this dish alongside the fiery Shui Zhu Yu, so I am keeping the flavours sweet, simple and mild. I wanted the sweetness of crab to come through, so I am very stringent with the seasoning. I have, however, flavoured this dish with two types of peppercorns, albeit on a very small scale. The end result is sweet crab pieces tossed in sweet aromatic vegetables, spiced modestly with salt and pepper(s).


For the vegetables.

-2 cloves chopped garlic,

-1 large chopped onion,

-2 sliced spring onions.

-1 chopped pepper.


For the crab.

700g crab, cut into chunks.


Seasoning.

-1/2tsp finely ground black pepper,

-1/2tsp finely ground Sichuan pepper.


In a wok, with 3tbsp vegetable oil, fry

-the crab pieces, with

-1tsp sea salt.

Cook, stirring occasionally until the crab is cooked through.

Remove from the wok.

Add the vegetables to the wok, with

-seasoning.

Cook, stirring for around a minute, add

-the crab pieces.

Stir well to combine.


Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment