I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 1 August 2016

Ginger and Chilli Pork Belly

Ginger and Chilli Pork Belly ผัดพริกขิงหมูกรอบ.




These smoky and crispy pork belly slices have been stir fried with very generous amount of chillies and ginger. Definitely time consuming, certainly delicious and absolutely bad for you. However, there's an unwritten rule that happy calories do NOT count...

   The pork.
In a large oven tray, place
-1kg pork belly slices, with
-2tsp sea salt,
-5-6 cloves crushed garlic.
Mix well.
Place the pork belly slices flesh side down.
Bake in 200c fan oven for around 1 1/2 hours.
Leave to cool, slice thinly.

   The vegetables.
-6cm sliced ginger,
-6 sliced chillies,
-4 sliced spring onions.

In a wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, stir fry
-the vegetables,
-1/2tsp sea salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, add
-sliced pork belly.
Cook, stirring to coat the meat in the vegetables for a couple of minutes or so.
Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment